Thursday, February 29, 2024

Daily Jam - Du e för fin för mig

First and foremost, I have always been a beer guy. I always will be. But that’s not to say that I didn’t also enjoy years of youthful indiscretion. Years that have most certainly passed me by (for the most part), but that I have fond memories of nonetheless. I don’t miss those heady days necessarily, but every once in a while, a jam will come along that makes me want to relive them, to partake again, “to cop out [sic] to groove,” as they say. And so we have the complete works of Swedish psych rock band Dungen, or more specifically, the song “Du e för fin för mig” from the 2004 album Ta det lugnt. It makes me move and groove, and I can think of nothing better to listen to while sitting back, freaking out, and smearing your brain like finger paints across the cosmos to.

The strings (synthesizer I think) come in first, layers of calm and tranquility, a wistful melody that feels like the sun rising over a valley, dew on the grass, a gentle chill still in the air, then fades. And then the acoustic guitar riff begins, banging it out to a head-nodding, toe-tapping strum, a clap-along beat, and Swedish vocals, that despite my not understanding a single syllable of them, sound absolutely profound. The strings return, and far-out effects, like a haze hanging over the field, and everything’s hummable. Everything’s still, but waving. And the groove plays out, ready to come to its inevitable end. And then the acid-drenched guitar freak-out, pummeling drums, screeching feedback, thundering bass, tranquility trampled but still loving it. And then someone pulls the plug, we all collapse, coming down.

If a song can make you want to take drugs, you know it’s probably a good one. Hallucinate. Drug use, not drug abuse (maybe the lamest thing I’ve ever said). So, do what you will, and listen below.

I hope my mom doesn’t read this.

Check it out, our Daily Jam.


1 comment:

  1. LOVE this band so much. I was fortunate enough to see them in Minnesota for this record. It was as amazing live as it is on headphones. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete