Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Daily Jam - One

I am not what you would call a U2 fan. I find a whole lot of their music to be bland, inoffensive, and kind of boring, a sonic calling card for casual music listeners or people who don’t really like music but want to look like they do. But despite the band’s (or namely Bono’s) propensity for political posturing, unabashed and sanctimonious cause-taking and torch-carrying, and poorly conceived marketing strategies, even I have to admit that the four-piece has been capable of making some amazing music throughout their decades long career. Some of those songs I even love. One of them is “One” from 1991’s Achtung Baby.

A perfect and brilliant pop song, lyrics wonderfully written, and a melody set to hit all the sweet spots, “One” all at once feels like a love song, a break-up song, a cry, a plea, and a revelation. The band takes these universal themes of love and heartache and apply them not just to personal relationships and histories, but to something grander, a grasp at brotherhood and union. That is the call. Unite. Become one. There is rejoicing in the anguish. There is togetherness in the melancholy.

I am hit on an emotional level every single time I hear this song. It makes my heart beat and my blood pulse, a possibility of shortness of breath and misty eyes like seeing or hearing years of hopes, dreams, thoughts, fears, and memories in a short, jarring loop, a proverbial punch to the stomach to clear the butterflies out of there. It makes me remember to love, and to take the time to enjoy that love. And for that, I am thankful.

I still hate Bono though.


No comments:

Post a Comment