Sunday, December 20, 2015

Favorite Movies of 2015

 I love movies.  I wish i could go out and see more of them.  So, this list is kind of short.  I only made it out to see a handful of films this year (the reality of having a toddler), i have yet to see "The Martian" (a film i'm fairly certain would make the list), and "Star Wars" and "The Hateful Eight" are not on the agenda until next week or later, so here are my favorite three movies of the year...of the small sample i got to see.

3. Bone Tomahawk
A western/horror/cannibal hybrid of a flick with a terrific cast, shot subtly and assuredly, and featuring some brutal violence.  It's like it was made just for me.  Check out my more in depth review over at Joup.

 2. Mad Max: Fury Road
So often when a movie receives the kind of hype and anticipation that George Miller's return to the world of "Mad Max" did, the end result is usually a combination of unmet expectations and one big unhappy let down.  All of these reboots and years-later sequels that keep budding up to wet our nostalgic whistles over the last few years inevitably end up that way.  But not "Mad Max."  It met all expectations, lived up to all the hype, and then full throttle charged past it all to, i dare say, rival and surpass the originals.  "Fury Road" is everything an action movie should be, but it's so much more than that: a return to practical film making, balls to the wall stunts and set pieces, a whole immersive world to get lost in, and some strong feminist themes that Hollywood should take some notes on.  Watch this movie right now!

1. Inside Out
I'm not a very emotional person, but every once in a while, a film can really hit me hard, evoking a misty eyed response, hugs all around.  "Inside Out" is an absolutely beautiful movie, a piece of cinematic art.  It made me want to go home and hug my son.  It made me want to hug my wife.  It made me want to go and hug my mom.  It gave me a better appreciation for all my family, all my loved ones, all my friends.  An animated family movie of what it is to be human, what it is to have empathy, what ties each and every one of us together as voiced by a bunch of comedians, and it practically brings me to tears.  My wife and i got to see the movie on a rare date night, my sister in town visiting for the week and more than happy to watch the boy, and we left the theater riveted, moved, holding hands.  I loved this movie.  I want to show it to everyone and make them love it too.

So there you have it.  Three films worthy of your time and personal libraries.  Here's to seeing more next year...if i get the time...as there are about to be two kids running around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment