Friday, March 1, 2024

Daily Jam - I Love My Car

I don’t know why, but I love the word “twee.”

And by extension, I have always loved the band whose sound often seems to be the sonic blueprint and representation of said word. Even when at their most saddest of bastard modes, sulking, moody pop songs, the Scotsmen and women of Belle & Sebastian carry an underlying sweetness about them, either through their playful lyrics or their gentle melodies. On the track “I Love My Car,” from the 2001 EP I’m Waking Up to Us, the band adds some jazz to that sweetly intoxicating mix, thus securing a place in my heart for all time.

A short list of things that make “I Love My Car” amazing:
- The absolutely sickeningly sweet imagery of a rodent making its tiny, little bed from pages of small books
- The potential for “auto” eroticism (that was a pun!)
- The EP’s cover and liner notes artwork, featuring photos of band members with dogs
- The Dixieland Jazz breakdown at song’s end
- Plenty of shade being thrown at The Beach Boys’ Mike Love

Oh, and it’s catchy too. Listen below and enjoy your day. TWEE MOTHERFUCKERS!


No comments:

Post a Comment