Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Daily Jam - Rocks

Years ago when my wife and I were married, we met with the guy whom we had hired to be our wedding deejay to discuss the timing of some songs and dances, the songs to be used during the different ceremonial dances, the songs to avoid like the plague and to not play under any circumstances (“We Are Family”), and some songs that we absolutely wanted played. My list included “Apache” by The Incredible Bongo Band, “I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)” by Stevie Wonder, and the indispensable “Rocks” by long-running UK band Primal Scream.

Although the record from whence “Rocks” is derived, the blued-infused, Stones-indebted 1994 album Give Out but Don’t Give Up, with its cropped William Eggleston photo album cover, is a mixed bag of homages and influences, that first single is a party starter for the ages. The beat and guitar riff are full of classic rock swagger, sex oozing from the microphone until the horn section flares up like something out of a Sly Stone daydream, commanding the hips to shake and the feet to move.

Who wouldn’t want this song played at their wedding reception?

Primal Scream are still kicking around, even releasing a couple of instant classic records since “Rocks” (read: 1997’s Vanishing Point and 2000’s EXTRMNTR), but I always come back to my personal introduction to the band. And these days my sons are dancing to it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment