Sunday, January 7, 2024

Daily Jam - Hybrid Moments

I hate to admit it, but I was really, really late to The Misfits party. I was aware of them of course, being a fan of those first four Danzig records, but for some reason or another I just never paid them any attention. And that was wrong of me. It was at the insistence and persistence of my brother that I finally rectified that mistake, that I finally gave the legendary punk rock act a go. And that was right of me.

“Hybrid Moments” comes from the album Static Age, a collection of songs recorded in the late 70’s, but not released in its entirety until 1997, well after the band had broken up and then reformed without Glenn Danzig at the helm. The song also appeared, along with several other tracks from the Static Age sessions on the 1985 album Legacy of Brutality. The word on the street is that Danzig redubbed the instruments on the songs before release to avoid paying his old bandmates any royalties, which resulted in lawsuits, hurt feelings, and bruised egos.

Release history and bad band drama aside, the song is an energetic little beast, less than two minutes of frenetic, bouncing power. It makes me want to jump around the room, slam into the furniture, into the wall, into any random, innocent individuals who happen to walk by. I cannot help but air-drum. I cannot help but bang my head around. I cannot help but shout along, often in a bad Danzig-impersonation. That’s what “Hybrid Moments” does to me, and it’s what I want it to do to you too. And while it’s probably not the best Misfits song ever, an argument I would love to see any number of superfans debate and come to blows over, it’s my favorite and a great entry point for anyone looking to explore and devour the band’s catalog.

On a side note, everything that you’ve heard or read about Danzig is probably true. He is an egomaniac. He is a prima donna. He is a jerk, and sadly, is increasingly becoming a joke. Just don’t let that affect your perceptions of the great music he made so many years ago. Also, if you ever meet him, stare directly into his eyes…I hear he likes that.

Or just ask him about his cats.

Check the track out below, our Daily Jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment