Thursday, January 11, 2024

Daily Jam - Enjoy the Silence

At first I thought I should skip over Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence” for this column, being that I’ve already written an article about the album it hails from, 1990’s Violator, for another column. But, then I thought…wait!…I have an “Enjoy the Silence” story. Here is my “Enjoy the Silence” story.

Sometime in the winter of 10th grade, we had a nasty, icy day that caused the schools to be cancelled. That afternoon, a friend came over in his new Ford Mustang, a shiny red gift from his grandfather, and the two of us, being the teenage doofusses that we were, decided to take it for a spin around our iced and slick town. We went to Sonic, a record store, and a myriad of other places that two teenage boys in a cherry automobile would visit on a day free from school, all the while jamming my Violator CD. On the way home, going down my block near my house, there was a tight curve as the street turned directions. Somewhere along the way, the brilliant decision was made to take that curve at roughly 60 miles per hour.

The results were pretty much what you would expect them to be.

I don’t know if we hit an ice patch, or if my friend was just an inexperienced teenage driver taking a tight left turn at a ridiculous speed, but we slid and hit the curb hard, breaking the front, passenger side wheel from the car and sending it flying into the air. The whole thing seemed to occur in slow motion. I remember seeing the wheel soaring off into the distance and my friend pointing at it and saying, “Look at that shit!” He eventually corrected and pulled the car into the street, and we came to a stop, both of us dazed, both of us silent…and then on the stereo, Dave Gahan told us to “Enjoy the Silence.” You could see my house about a quarter mile away.

And that’s my “Enjoy the Silence” story.

Listen below, our Daily Jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment