Thursday, May 2, 2024

Daily Jam - Lamb

My dad used to talk about how when he was younger, he thought he might make his living playing music (jazz music to be exact). I certainly felt that way for a number of years myself, and while the likelihood of that ever happening now is somewhere far below 1%, a middle aged guy can still dream the dream. So, regardless of whatever crap day job or settled on career holds my future (gotta have health insurance (hopefully) for the boys), I’m probably going to keep writing my little pop songs until the day I die. I have to. I need to.

Unfortunately, sometimes after writing a song, I come to the deflating conclusion that I’ve somehow unwittingly lifted the melody from someone else’s tune. And that really sucks, because it can be frustratingly difficult to try and separate that other song from my lyrics. Such is the case on a song I attempted to write a few years ago called “Virgins,” a reflection on the trial and error of young love and its inevitable end through adult eyes, a kind of mature take on teenage breakup and heartache. I’m not one to toot my own horn or whatnot, but still consider these to be some of the best lyrics I’ve ever written, and so far I’ve been unable to come up with an accompanying melody because I’m forever stuck on that one I accidentally stole.

That song of course is the beautifully dour and aching “Lamb” by Lower Dens.

The project of the hipper-than-you-or-I-can-ever-hope-to-be Jana Hunter, “Lamb” comes from the band’s brilliant 2012 sophomore effort Nootropics, and pulled and tugged at me and (apparently) embedded itself within my psyche for later use. It’s gloomy and heart wrenching pop, a mix of synth pop and dreampop that oozes dark atmosphere and cutting sadness.

I love it, and I’m sorry I tried to steal it.

Listen below, our Daily Jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment