Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Daily Jam - Reach Out I'll Be There

This column was originally published in 2017, though honestly it could have been any year really.

I’m exhausted. The steady and constant flow of miserable information that courses across my eyeballs and into my brain, all at the impulsive touch of a screen is taking its toll. The prospect of taking a break, going on a vacation from social media and maybe the internet in general, is becoming increasingly desirable, a way to stop the media overload on my mind, to recharge, and I guess to avoid the constant, 24-hour onslaught of doom and gloom and utter horrible shit…if just for a week or so.

But I trudge on, like a pathetic junkie jonesing for his next fix, scrolling through Twitter feeds and Facebook comments like a trained lab rat.

Anyway, today let’s listen to The Four Tops’ 1966 hit “Reach Out I’ll Be There,” a little slice of Motown pop and soul that will settle my nerves for a moment or two. It’s damn near perfect and makes me want to be a background singer, dancing in unison with the rest of the chorus.

And as a bonus, the late, great lead singer Levi Stubbs would eventually go on to provide the voice of carnivorous plant Audrey II in the 1986 musical film version of Little Shop of Horrors, which is just awesome.

Listen below, our Daily Jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment