Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Daily Jam - Head On

There are a handful of things that stick to my memory of when I moved into my very first apartment over 20 years ago. I remember that the humidity on move-in day was ridiculous, the Austin air a thick soup of uncomfortable moisture and oppressive heat. I remember being attracted to the pretty woman who worked in the complex’s leasing office, her Bettie Page aura and demeanor being way, way out of my league. I remember my mom cried at the airport when she flew back home to Midland. I remember the pain in the ass that was assembling my heavy, particle board desk. I remember my dad bought a 6-pack of Shiner for my roommate and me. And I remember getting into a friendly argument with the clerk at the corner store as to whether or not “Head On” was a Jesus and Mary Chain song or a Pixies song. Turns out we were both right.

But I was more right.

The Pixies did indeed record a version of “Head On” for their 1991 album Trompe le Monde, but it was a cover of the tune that originally appeared on The Jesus and Mary Chain’s 1989 album Automatic. Both versions are excellent, but I’m partial to the original, the drum and synth heavy surf rock-riffing jam hitting my earspace in all of the right places.

But let’s listen to both today anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment